5th & 6th October 2024 Royal Cornwall Events
Centre, Wadebridge, Sat 10 – 4.30 & Sun 10 – 4

Summer Gas Safety

Many of us will consider gas safety in the winter months when we are continually using our heating appliances, however how many of us consider our gas safety as importantly during the summer months?

New research has discovered that 189 homes faced a gas safety emergency every day last summer! The gas emergency service providers, The National Grid were called to over 30,000 extremely dangerous incidents concerning gas safety between May and September 2014. These incidents included Gas leaks, fires, and minor explosions. Nearly 10,000 incidents were directly related to Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

This research has also identified gas consumers approach to summer gas safety. It found that 1 in 5 homeowners, around 19%, stated they do not use their gas boilers at all during the summer months despite acknowledging they were still using hot water and using gas appliances for cooking. The research also shockingly highlighted that only 1 in 15 around 6% stated that they would consider CO poisoning during the summer months a risk.

Not only can the standard fossil fuel burning appliances within the home be a concern for summer gas safety, Gas and coal BBQ’s can also lead to incidents of CO poisoning. Over the last 3 years, 28 people have been sadly killed or injured by CO poisoning as a result of taking a BBQ into a confined space (such as tents and caravans). These often have very little and poor ventilation and can lead to a rapid build-up of CO.

The Gas Safe Register has been actively promoting Summer Gas Safety. Jonathan Samuel, managing director of Gas Safe Register said: “It is worrying that so many people are unaware they are still using gas appliances in the summer and are therefore exposed to the dangers. If you don’t know the danger is there, it’s more likely to harm you. With carbon monoxide causing six serious injuries a week it is vital that the public are aware of the warning signs of faulty gas appliances and recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning, which can often be confused with hay fever or a cold.

“The only way to keep your family and homes safe is to make sure you have an annual safety check by a registered engineer and don’t put it off until winter.”

To keep you and your family safe this summer follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:

1. Get your gas appliances safety checked this summer by a Gas Safe registered engineer. If you live in rented accommodation your landlord must ensure this is done annually.

2. Recognise the warning signs that your gas appliances are not working properly including lazy yellow flames and black marks around the appliance.

3. Know the symptoms of CO poisoning including: severe headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

4. Know how to use barbecues safely – never use a smouldering or lit barbecue (charcoal or gas), gas stove, light or heater in a tent, caravan, room or cabin, or under an awning unless it is a permanent fixture that has been installed and maintained correctly.

For more information visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or contact Blue Flame on Freephone 0800 074 9132.

This blog story was provided by Blue Flame Heating Solutions.